IAV benefits from extensive experience in using electric drive systems as well as in developing components themselves. Our development engineers can configure and design complete electric motors in compliance with client specifications – whether central motor, close-to-wheel motor or wheel-hub motor. We develop or optimize the required power electronics, such as converter or d.c. controller, design the appropriate transmission and auxiliaries, like the cooling system, and integrate everything as compactly as possible in the vehicle’s package.
Our development teams use state-of-the-art design systems, some of which have been developed in-house, CAD and simulation tools as well as PDM systems. Here, we also rely on IAV’s extensive engine knowledge database with its comprehensive cache of information on vehicles, engines and transmissions, materials, patents and publications. Our own testing facilities allow us to test and validate powertrains and components under a wide range of operating conditions.
Our e-drive expertise:
- Concept configuration and simulation
- Positioning of the drive (engine, transmission and power electronics) as well as auxiliaries in the vehicle
- High-voltage wiring and peripherals (cooling-water hoses etc.)
- Providing concepts for mounting e-drives
- Configuration and design of systems for fixing the e-drive and auxiliaries
We are also competent and equipped in respect of constructing prototypes:
- Procurement or in-house production of components
- Component tests through to system or release endurance testing
- Vehicle-prototype construction and start-up
- In-vehicle testing
- Quality assurance and documentation
In the development process to production level, we help our clients to compile requirements specifications and release documents, take care of developing e-components ready for production in consultation with suppliers and attend to vehicle validation.